Website Afresh Technologies
Eliminate food waste & make fresh food accessible to all
Afresh is on a mission to eliminate food waste and make fresh food accessible to all. Our first A.I.-powered solution optimizes ordering, forecasting, and store operations for fresh food departments in brick-and-mortar grocers. With our Fresh Operating System, regional and national grocery retailers have placed $1.6 billion in produce orders across the US and we’ve helped our partners prevent 6.9 million pounds of food from going to waste. Working at Afresh represents a one-of-a-kind opportunity to have massive social impact at scale by leveraging uncommonly impactful software – we hope you’ll join us!
About the role
- Directly impact our mission of reducing fresh food waste by working on our backend data and machine learning platform that uses massive amounts of grocery store data to make ordering recommendations
- Build out our backend data and machine learning platform as well as supporting tooling to process tens of billions of historical data points collected from tens of thousands of retail stores and beyond
- Support developer experience for our wider engineering organization across functions and teams
- Leverage modern data analysis and processing frameworks, programming languages, and tooling—such as Apache Spark, Pandas, Python, and SQL—to provide powerful compute capabilities to our data and ML backend platform
- Scale our data backends that leverage a combination of traditional databases, data warehouses, and data lakes to support varying access patterns
- Scale up your impact by leading technical projects, participating in technical and design decisions, mentoring engineers, and participating in recruiting functions
- Act as an exemplar for our culture of excellence, curiosity, collaboration, proactivity, candor, humility, and kindness
Skills and experience
- 5+ years of professional software engineering experience
- Bachelors degree in a STEM field, ideally in computer science or related field
- Outstanding programming skills with deep knowledge of databases, distributed systems, and backend concepts
- Demonstrated ability to design, build, deploy, and manage large production compute or data backend platforms at scale.
- Experience using modern big data frameworks, scaling computation to hundreds of machines, and/or working with machine learning systems preferred
- Demonstrated ability to triage and solve open-ended, ambiguous systems-level problems
The above represent attributes our ideal candidate possesses. We encourage all highly-qualified candidates to apply, even if they do not fulfill all the listed criteria.
About Afresh Founded in 2017, Afresh is working on the #1 solution to curb climate change: reducing food waste. By combining human insight and transformative technology, we’re helping grocers provide fresher food to customers at more affordable prices. Afresh sits at an incredible intersection of positive social impact, rocket ship financial growth, and cutting-edge technology. Our best-in-class AI research has been published in top journals including ICML, and we’ve raised over $148 million in funding from investors including former co-CEO of Whole Foods Market Walter Robb and Eric Schmidt’s Innovation Endeavors. Fresh is the past, present, and future of our food system – the waste we create today will impact our planet for years to come. Join us as we continue to build a vibrant, diverse, and inclusive team that embodies our company’s values of proactivity, kindness, candor, and humility.
Afresh provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, pregnancy or related condition, or any other basis protected by law.
Here at Afresh, many of our employees work remotely provided they reside in or be willing to relocate to one of these states to be considered: AR, CA, CO, FL, GA, IL, KY, MA, MI, MS, MO, NV, NJ, NY, NC, OR, PA, TX, WA, WI. However, there may be key roles that will require a candidate/employee to be local to our San Francisco, CA office. In which case this requirement will be included in the job posting details under “Skills and experience” for reference.
Tell us about the interview process for this job
First, your resume will be reviewed by one of our Recruiters and if you're a match to one of our openings they'll reach out to set up a phone interview. Depending on the role, you may be asked to take a skills assessment before moving forward with an Interview with a Hiring Manager. From there a formal interview will be scheduled with several members of the team and if that goes well, we'll move forward with an offer!
Tell us about your diversity and inclusion efforts
At Afresh, our commitment to our communities extends beyond our products and technologies. We’re creating a workplace that embraces diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging (DEIB), and where everyone can make an impact while being celebrated for their fully authentic selves. Alongside leadership and key stakeholders, the DEIB committee at Afresh is passionately working to increase representation of all identities, champion exceptional experiences, and foster an inclusive culture where people from any background can do their best work. The committee regularly assesses, evolves, and measures the efficacy of our programs and processes across three areas: 1) Attracting, hiring, and retaining top diverse talent 2) Cultivating equitable promotion and career development programs 3) Fostering a community where each unique identity is honored and celebrated We pride ourselves in giving Afreshies the power and freedom of acceptance while solving for the #1 solution to curb climate change: reducing food waste.
Do you have an active contract with ICE?
To apply for this job please visit grnh.se.