Figure 53, a Baltimore-based software company, is hiring a fully remote macOS developer to work on our flagship program, QLab. We are looking for an accomplished developer with at least 5 years of experience fixing and adding functionality to shipped software. We’re also looking for a teammate who has strong creative and communication skills, as our business structures are unusually decentralized and non-hierarchical. We are looking for someone with both the self-motivation to work independently and the interpersonal skills to work cooperatively.
QLab is a powerful tool for designing and playing back sound, video, light, and show control cues. If you’ve ever watched a play (or the Olympics, or a sports game, or many other live events), chances are you’ve been in the room with QLab. Our ideal candidate would have interest in theatre, broadcasting, or live events, and/or experience working with AV and software tool file formats, network protocols (like Art-Net and OSC), or hardware protocols (such as MIDI, DMX), in addition to the technical qualifications outlined below.
We would prefer to hire a full time (40 hours a week) employee but are open to a part-time arrangement (of at least 20 hours a week). We pay a competitive salary, have a formalized profit-sharing system that kicks in after one year, and benefits including generous paid vacation and fully paid health insurance. We are an all-remote company. Residency in Maryland, New York, or California is mildly preferred but we’re open to candidates from anywhere in the US.
Technical Skill Requirements
The successful applicant will have skills and experience with some or all of the following:
- macOS software development (Objective-C)
- Implementing and debugging AV and software tool file formats, network protocols (like Art-Net and OSC), or hardware protocols (such as MIDI, DMX)
- Metal or OpenGL
- User interface design and implementation for software tools
- Audio or video software programming (authoring or playback)
- Animation, illustration, compositing, or presentation software
- Theatrical lighting design software or hardware
- Software for configuring or interfacing with embedded hardware
Bonus Technical Qualifications
While no one will have all of the following, experience with any of these would be a bonus:
- iOS development (Swift or Objective-C)
- Shipped or maintained production-grade software for theatrical or broadcast audio, video, or lighting
- Shipped or maintained macOS or iOS software with substantial user base
macOS or Unix/Linux system administration skills, including computer network configuration (professional or personal).
- Experience working or volunteering in a live event production environment (e.g. high school, college/university, community, or professional theater; corporate event production; broadcast television or radio; indie or professional film production; etc.)
- Experience with QLab at a moderate or expert level. (At least a year or two of actual hands-on experience with QLab.)
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience developing software collaboratively
- Good written communicator
- Interested in being part of company-wide decisions at Figure 53
- Curious and willing to learn
Salary and Benefits
All full- and half-time employees at Figure 53 are paid based on the same annual salary. (Our CEO makes 1.5x the base salary). The base salary is $150,000 for senior full-time employment.
After 1 year at Figure 53, you’ll receive quarterly profit sharing which is divided based on the length of time you’ve been at the company. Profit sharing is often a significant portion of our compensation.
25 paid vacation days, unlimited unpaid vacation days, and paid federal holidays plus the week between Christmas and New Years off.
SIMPLE IRA retirement plan with employer contribution matching
Free health insurance for you, your spouse, and your dependents, including an HRA for out-of-pocket spending. Vision and dental insurance are included because teeth and eyes are also part of your body.
Fully remote work.
Figure 53 is committed to building a culturally diverse staff and strongly encourages applications from people of color, women, LGBTQ+, those living with disabilities, or a member of any group that is traditionally excluded from work in the tech sector.
The position is open immediately and will remain so until filled.
To get a sense of our company culture and HR policies, we encourage you to take a look at our handbook.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to apply. Attach PDFs of your resume and a cover letter that demonstrates your relevant experience and interest in the job.
Tell us about the interview process for this job
Qualified applicants will have an initial interview with two of our developers and our COO. That's followed by a second interview with the full development team. At that point we'll check your references and extend an offer.
Tell us about your diversity and inclusion efforts
We have an antiracism working group which makes ongoing suggestions for how we can keep improving as a company. We have revamped our hiring process to follow best practices for reducing bias. We also invest heavily in the Baltimore community where we are headquartered. Our flat pay structure was designed partially because we want to make sure that we're not paying women, people of color, and other marginalized groups less than other employees for the same work.
Do you have an active contract with ICE?
To apply for this job please visit figure53.com.