Website Grow Progress
Building cutting-edge persuasion technology for social good.
Position: Marketing Team Lead
Location: DC, New Orleans, or Remote
The Job: Build a marketing team for a fast-growing, mission-driven, opinion research tech startup as we grow into the commercial space.
The Company: Grow Progress is an opinion research tech startup that makes persuasion radically more effective. We have achieved product-market fit and are generating millions in revenue from progressive nonprofits and agencies in the advocacy space, and we have promising early traction with initial commercial customers.
You: Someone with experience marketing similar SaaS products to commercial teams, who’s excited to pioneer a new team.
Salary: $100,000 to $140,000 annually, depending on experience, plus equity.
Grow Progress is looking for a Team Lead to pioneer our marketing team. This is an exciting opportunity to take a SaaS product that’s made persuasion radically more effective for progressive campaigns, research firms, and nonprofits, and unlock its enormous value for commercial brands, creative agencies, and media buyers.
We are a quickly growing team of more than 35 people who are passionate about giving strategists the tools to persuade more people. We power breakthroughs in persuasion by helping strategists to more deeply understand the people they’re aiming to move — not just how they look, but how they think. We then give strategists the ability to scientifically test their messages at a radically accessible cost, so they have the freedom to test more creative strategies. You will be a key player in scaling the adoption of an innovative new tool to transform the market research landscape.
Full disclosure: we’re not great at marketing yet. We’re often too in the weeds. We focus too much on the “what” instead of the “why.” We don’t tell a clear story of how our tools make our customers the hero of their quests.
The good news: in spite of our lack of marketing, we have strong revenue, great product-market fit from clients who get a ton of value from our tools, and we work with many of the most influential progressive advocacy organizations, media agencies, and opinion research firms. We’re already trusted by major brands like Lyft and others, so we’re looking for a marketer who can both sharpen our value proposition for the social impact market and translate our products for the commercial market.
While this role is new, we are committed to investing significant resources into this work to help us scale. That makes this role a fantastic opportunity for an entrepreneurial, ambitious, mission-driven marketing leader to come in and quickly boost our growth with professional marketing.
As the first member and leader of our Marketing team, you will have the opportunity to build your team as we grow and shape our vision for the company. You will set goals and success criteria with our CEO and will then be given significant responsibility to design and execute a strategy to achieve those goals.
Put simply, we are looking for a marketing generalist (or swiss army knife) who can lead projects across product, content, and brand marketing. Your primary focus will be on product marketing with an emphasis on sales enablement materials, since your top priority will be to help us unlock revenue. A secondary priority will be content marketing, with an emphasis on generating blog posts and newsletter content to highlight exciting insights uncovered by the strategists using our tools. In addition, you will have an opportunity to refresh our brand, particularly as we expand to the commercial sector.
It’s a startup, so we’ll be asking you to cover a lot! To do that, we’ll set realistic goals and aim to ship “minimally viable” deliverables as we stand up this new team, rather than asking you to build a fully mature set of resources all at once.
As we grow, you will have the opportunity to expand your responsibilities, including hiring teammates who specialize in other areas such as growth marketing. But to be clear, we’re looking for someone who wants to roll up their sleeves as an individual contributor at the start until we unlock the resources to grow this team.
What You’ll Do:
- Develop a clear narrative about how Grow Progress can uniquely empower clients, from advocacy organizations and research firms to brands and marketing agencies
- Work with our sales team to draft sales enablement materials and integrate marketing activities into our CRM
- Use our internal insights to illustrate the value of our tools through case studies and other content marketing
- Review and improve upon current top-of-the-funnel marketing activities and establish measurable goals around lead generation
- Oversee go-to-market strategy in new verticals
- Work with our client success and client strategy teams to drive new customer adoption and help existing customers get more value out of our product
- Work with our product team to draft product marketing materials and new product launches
- Design and execute marketing outreach campaigns that accelerate our brand awareness and increase leads for the sales team
- Oversee the design and format of decks and websites; hire and manage a designer as appropriate
- Own and maintain the content strategy and calendar
- Oversee a refresh of our brand, executed by consultants
- Achieve ambitious measurable goals and metrics for outbound content marketing
- Oversee basic SEO work to ensure Grow Progress is reaching the right audiences, executed by consultants
- Hire, manage, and oversee contractors as needed
What You’ll Bring:
- 5-10 years of experience in a marketing role, ideally at an analytics startup
- Highly creative and analytical mind
- Experience building out a marketing strategy, launching product releases and campaigns and, ideally, managing others
- Ability to understand complex technical concepts and communicate them clearly to non-technical audiences
- An evidence-driven approach to evaluating strategies and making recommendations
- Ability to build consensus from multiple different stakeholders within our team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Experience using HubSpot or a similar CRM
- Progressive values
- Current U.S. work authorization
What We’re Looking for in a Teammate:
- Ownership mindset: You’re comfortable owning the day-to-day process of figuring things out where there isn’t yet a roadmap. You will need to solicit requirements from other stakeholders and then generate clear proposals to build buy-in from them, rather than waiting to be asked.
- Iterative: You’re comfortable shipping minimally viable sales enablement materials quickly and then revising iteratively, rather than waiting to build a perfect foundation first.
- Goal-driven: You set clear priorities and deadlines for yourself and teammates, and you keep track of them to share your progress with others.
- Resourceful: You generate creative solutions with limited time and resources in a fast-paced environment without other marketing teammates at first. We’ll be here to support you, but you’ve got to be excited about being a pioneer.
- Test-driven: You think in terms of success criteria and then testing out whether your solution achieves those criteria by getting feedback from users, both externally and internally.
- Analytical: You can understand a data-driven product. You don’t need to be a “quant,” but you need to be comfortable learning about technical concepts.
- Clear: You can translate data insights into compelling stories for people who aren’t quantitative.
- Open: You are comfortable disagreeing agreeably about tradeoffs and honest when you don’t know the answer or something doesn’t work out the way you hoped.
- User-focused: You are able to quickly learn about the motivations and pain points of new and diverse customer segments and can translate for them.
- Adaptable: You are comfortable having your role change as the company grows, and you don’t mind quickly changing course when evidence suggests we need to.
- Fun: You have a sense of humor, even when working through challenges.
- Mission-driven: You care about our mission and having a huge social impact!
More About Grow Progress
Our culture is fun, fast-paced, and focused on evidence, where everyone feels comfortable contributing ideas. We get smarter together by giving each other feedback that’s direct, actionable, and respectful. We’re deeply motivated by the work we do and committed to using this technology ethically.
We’re an equal opportunity employer committed to building a diverse company. Qualified people of any race, ethnicity, culture, age, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, social class, marital status, religion, veteran status, or disability status are strongly encouraged to apply.
Compensation: $100k to $140k yearly salary (depending on experience), plus equity. Benefits include a 100% paid company health plan with medical, dental, and vision insurance, a flexible PTO plan, and a 401(k) with employer matching, among others.
Location: DC, New Orleans, or Remote
To Apply: Fill out the form at the link. Applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis. Please note that if you email your resume to our team directly or apply through a different site rather than applying on our job site, you may not be considered for the position. No recruiters, please.
Tell us about the interview process for this job
Phone Screen with Director of People; Panel Interview with Internal Team Members; Skills Assessment; Final Round Interview with CEO
Tell us about your diversity and inclusion efforts
We believe that inclusion and equity are the keys to a better future. We center these issues by creating accessible and affordable products, partnering exclusively with progressive organizations, and building transparency across our company. We strive to foster belonging and empowerment at work and we continuously examine our efforts through our Growing Progress DEI&B working group. We are committed to building a team with a variety of backgrounds, skills, and experiences. Our goal is to create a workplace where every person feels supported and encouraged to thrive.
Do you have an active contract with ICE?
To apply for this job please visit growprogress.recruitee.com.