Harvard Kennedy School (HKS) seeks a Senior IT Business Analyst (BA) to be part of the HKSIT Project Management Team and will participate in key projects within HKSIT’s 5-year plan. We are looking for technically proficient, nimble, user-focused and accountable IT professional who work well in a team environment. We are committed to building and fostering a diverse and inclusive team culture; we welcome applications from candidates who share our values.
We are looking for generalists who can:
• Build out requirements
• Do some level of project management
• Lead and communicate
Successful candidates will have the following skills:
• People skills to gather inputs
• Analytical skills to synthesize user requirements needs
• Ability to develop KPIs and produce metrics / track success
• Management to lead internal efforts
• Communication to present
• Technical proficiency / ability to work between technical teams and stakeholders at all levels
• Process development / review and refinement of existing processes
We are looking for an agile, focused individual who can contribute through all phases of the project lifecycle. The BA is someone with demonstrated leadership that can:
• Collaborate with Project Managers and technical / support teams on various activities around project planning and execution including
o requirements gathering,
o develop and refine project plans,
o application configuration,
o development of presentation materials,
o story development,
o support communications to internal and external project team members, vendors, and other stakeholders,
o customer outreach,
o issue management,
o peer outreach,
o user provisioning,
o Data gathering,
o testing and end user training,
o Developing KPIs and producing key metrics to track success.
• Interview key stakeholders and end users about business processes and needs. Translate into actionable requirements
• Identify workflow improvements and propose solutions for new or existing systems by engaging our partners, system users, and vendors.
• Process development and improvement. Document and socialize new processes / changes to existing processes.
• Capture and document change requests, out-of-scope requests, and bugs.
• Identify opportunities to improve client applications and internal technical infrastructure.
• Work with the technical team to convey and clarify requirements as part of the development process.
• Take a lead role in understanding the operating requirements for delivered products and work with the team to analyze and clarify internal and school operational requirements.
• Quickly develop subject-matter expertise related to assigned projects.
• Support project reporting and communications efforts to key stakeholders.
• Develop and execute test procedures to verify new products, enhancements, defect fixes, and patches function as expected, without introducing regression issues.
• Provide functional support during project/release go-lives, which may include occasional evening or weekend work.
• Assist with general administration, special projects, and perform other related job duties as needed.
This position is a fully benefits-eligible term appointment ending three years from date of hire with very strong possibility of renewal.
We regret that the Harvard Kennedy School does not provide Visa Sponsorship.
Harvard University requires pre-employment references and background checks.
Harvard University is committed to supporting a healthy, sustainable learning and working environment.
Please note: This is an in-person/on campus position based in Cambridge, MA. This position will require 2-3 days/week in-person.
The University requires all Harvard community members to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and remain up to date with COVID-19 vaccine boosters, as detailed in Harvard’s Vaccine & Booster Requirements. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. More information regarding the University’s COVID vaccination requirement, exemptions, and verification of vaccination status may be found at the University’s “COVID-19 Vaccine Information” webpage: http://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-information/.
Salary Range: $81,000 – $138,400
Note: Starting salaries typically fall in the lower half of the salary range; however, they are ultimately determined by the scope of the position, the candidate’s relevant experience, and internal equity.
Harvard offers a generous benefits package including:
• Time Off: 3- 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 12.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
• Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
• Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
• Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
• Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
• Wellness Options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
• Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
Harvard Kennedy School’s Mission and Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Anti-Racism
At Harvard Kennedy School, fostering a diverse and inclusive community where everyone feels they belong is a matter of basic fairness consistent with our core values as an institution. It is also essential to our mission of improving public policy and leadership—because recruiting the best people and creating an environment where they can thrive make us better at what we do, because we learn more from people with different perspectives, and because we work in diverse groups and serve diverse societies.
Learn more about Harvard Kennedy School’s commitment to diversity, equity, and anti-racism.
Harvard Kennedy School’s mission is to improve public policy and leadership so people can live in societies that are more safe, free, just, and sustainably prosperous. Our teaching, research, and engagement with practitioners focus on these priorities:
• Protecting security, freedom, and human rights
• Strengthening democracy
• Advancing social justice
• Increasing economic well-being
• Enhancing sustainability
• Improving public leadership and management
You can be part of this endeavor. Explore and learn more about Harvard Kennedy School.
Minimum of 5 years’ post-secondary education or relevant work experience required.
If you have some, but not all, of the following, we encourage you to apply; we value employees with a willingness to learn.
• Bachelor’s degree with coursework in information systems or computer science preferred; or equivalent experience.
• At least five (5) years experience working with administrative systems, preferably in a business analyst capacity.
• Direct experience with business analysis tools and techniques strongly desired.
• Solid understanding and demonstrated use of iterative development (preferably Agile) desired.
• Proven communications and writing ability (sample will be required).
• Demonstrated organizational skills, especially with the ability to manage and track a large number of details and facts and understand how each detail fits into the “big picture.”
• Ability to work in a fast-paced, high volume environment; willingness to go “above and beyond” to meet critical deadlines.
• Adept at evaluating problems accurately and displaying sound judgment, including measured risks and timely escalation.
• Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
• Excellent communication skills and technical-writing ability.
• Fluency with Microsoft Office.
• Demonstrated ability to learn quickly.
• Proven experience with relational databases including SQL.
• Completion of Harvard IT Academy specified foundational courses (or external equivalent) preferred.
Tell us about the interview process for this job
Tell us about your diversity and inclusion efforts
Do you have an active contract with ICE?
To apply for this job please visit www.click2apply.net.