Website One Degree
Brings life-changing social services within reach for millions
One Degree is a completely remote organization, however staff should be available for some Pacific time hours to align with the majority of coworkers. Candidates must be eligible to work and be based in the United States. We are unable to provide sponsorship at this time.
Benefits: One Degree offers comprehensive benefits including flexible paid time off (3 week minimum for most new roles that increases with tenure), plus 13 annual holidays, 1 float day, 1 volunteer day, and a winter break to recharge at the end of the year. We cover 100% of medical, dental, and vision insurance for full-time employees, and 75% for dependents. Additional benefits include a 403b program with employer match, flexible spending account for medical and dependent care costs and remote work stipend.
What We Do:
One Degree (www.1degree.org) brings life-changing social services within reach for the millions of low-income people seeking help every day. Through easy-to-use technology and deep community partnership, we remove the formidable barriers that prevent people from getting everything from housing to healthcare and beyond.
How We Work:
We listen and learn from our communities to design technology solutions that put people on a path toward economic and social well-being. We bring our full selves to work each day and use our personal and professional experiences to understand the challenges that communities face. We are a low-ego, humble group of people that love what we do and love bringing out the best in each other. You’ll be a great fit for this team if you foster engaged collaboration and believe it’s time to reimagine how technology can bring agency to communities and connect families and individuals to opportunity.
We are fully committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion. We know a team with wide-ranging ideas, perspectives, and backgrounds foster a stronger and more creative work environment. We encourage everyone to apply, especially those from underrepresented communities, such as people of color, LGBTQ community members, people with lived experience as low-income, and individuals with disabilities.
As a Software Engineer at One Degree, you will work on www.1degree.org, which supports tens of thousands of families & individuals to find the community resources they need to achieve socio-economic stability. This role will be focused both on our product innovation efforts as well as on client-driven projects. This position is part of the Engineering department, which is responsible for building, integrating, maintaining and enhancing our products using community input.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Develop and improve products and features that directly help low-income and at-risk families and individuals
- Involvement in all phases of the software development life cycle: Analyzing business/system requirements or user stories, providing estimates, designing solutions, developing/coding new features or changes to existing features, unit testing, fixing bugs/defects, and providing second-level operational support as needed.
- Be the expert contributor in one or more critical solution modules and create software based on technical direction from lead developers / managers. This may take the form of architecture/design direction, and in some cases solving critical technical problems with innovative solutions.
- Excellent opportunity to learn and mentor junior developers
- Take technical ownership of the platform along with other engineers and be proactive in bringing up technical change discussions to keep the platform up to date with technical topics such as security & audit requirements, improving page load speeds, mobile optimizations, data & privacy, etc.
- Engage in root cause analysis of complex issues to identify the source of defects, and resolve said defects (problem-solving)
- Collaborate with other engineers to deliver complex projects including integration with 3rd party tools such as CRMs (e.g. Salesforce), Electronic Health Records (EHR), customized assessments/screeners, and reporting systems.
- Participate in standard engineering practices like participating in design reviews, code reviews and knowledge sharing
- Produce clear technical documentation as needed in support of complex technical concepts
- At least 5 years of experience as a software developer, maintaining products for real users
- At least 5 years of experience with Rails and Angular/React, or similar web frameworks
- Experience in integration with 3rd party tools using APIs
- Experience using SaSS tools integrated into the application, for various services such as mass communication, electronic data interchange etc.
- Experience with or an interest in learning iOS/Swift and Android/Java/Kotlin development
- Experience identifying and addressing performance and scaling issues in web products
- Experience using Git
- Experience and an appreciation for writing tests
Working knowledge of SQL, MongoDB, Solr, or similar
- Experience or an interest in managing servers directly (e.g., AWS EC2) and through SAAS vendors (e.g., Heroku)
- Experience or an interest in working with Docker/microservices
Bachelor’s Degree or similar experience in Computer Science, Information Systems, or related field. We welcome candidates that do not have a college degree as long as they can demonstrate knowledge and experience in the above-mentioned areas.
How to apply
Apply by clicking the “Apply” button in the job post and attach your resume. No cover letter is requested. Applications are on a rolling basis, with priority for candidates that apply by Dec 4, 2022.
One Degree believes that everyone has the right to express their identity in however manner they choose, including the use of whatever pronouns they would like. Job applicants may, but are not expected to, provide their pronouns at any point in the hiring process by notifying the hiring manager or any other employee with whom they are in contact, over the phone, over email, or in person. We believe in maintaining a welcoming and inclusive workplace. Every employee, volunteer, contractor, community member, and job applicant may discuss their gender identity or expression openly, or keep that information private.
Work Environment and Conditions:
One Degree is a completely remote organization, with optional in-person social gatherings every 1-2 months and an in-person retreat 1-2 times a year. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to perform the essential duties. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, talk and hear, and use a laptop and/or monitor.
One Degree is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination/harassment based on race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination/harassment based on “protected categories,” One Degree also strives to prevent other, subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (e.g., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at One Degree.
Tell us about the interview process for this job
Phone screen with Operations team member, Take-home skills assessment, Brief technical interview, Technical Deep-dive and peer interviews, reference check.
Tell us about your diversity and inclusion efforts
We are fully committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion. We know a team with wide-ranging ideas, perspectives, and backgrounds foster a stronger and more creative work environment. We are always trying to create a welcoming and inclusive work environment where feedback is encouraged and decision-making is collaborative.
Do you have an active contract with ICE?
Deadline to apply:
December 4, 2022
To apply for this job please visit jobs.gusto.com.