POLITICO’s mission from the very beginning was to win the audience. We dedicate ourselves to providing accurate, non-partisan, impactful information to the right people at the right time so that they can act with confidence and speed. We experiment to avoid being disrupted and we have fun disrupting others. And we are not afraid to risk failure if it means being the best at what we do.
POLITICO is seeking a data analyst to play a critical role in understanding our audience and evaluating our products. This role is equal parts data wrangler, analyst, strategist, evangelist and storyteller. This role will work regularly with key stakeholders across multiple divisions—including editorial, advertising, product, marketing, subscriptions and technology.
The primary responsibility of this role is to first seek to understand stakeholder and organizational needs, then sift through data sources and data points with those needs in mind to uncover insights to drive the business forward. The secondary responsibility is to evangelize the importance of data within the organization by helping to implement a company-wide data strategy, helping to predict and prescribe organizational-level needs. Finally, this role also requires the ability to turn raw data and insights into a story that’s both easily understandable and actionable.
This role will gather requirements from business, technical and editorial stakeholders; discover, clean and organize data into useable datasets; perform analyses and/or build tools; and present to stakeholders and/or deploy solutions. Types of analysis include strategic data analysis to support business decisions, content and consumption analysis to identify trends and inform the newsroom, financial analyses to support strategic direction, usage analysis to inform product development, launch and optimization, and more.
Who You Are:
- You have the ability to frame vague problem statements as workable business problems and analytical challenges
- You are able to creatively draw upon available resources to respond to business questions and identify critical points of improvement in the data pipeline and your workflow when challenges arise
- You have experience developing and implementing a data strategy that stems directly from stakeholder needs
- You can identify trends, investigate causes and prepare data-driven recommendations to respond to them
- You have the ability to communicate complex analyses to a non-technical audience
- You desire to work as part of a cross-functional, small, and extremely agile team
- You are driven to dig deeper and push from “interesting” to “impactful”
What You’ll Do:
- Obtain, clean, and organize big data from a multitude of sources into datasets for analysis
- Synthesize multiplatform datasets to build out a comprehensive picture of our readers and cross-reference variables to track their behavior
- Generate visualizations and dashboards that keep executives, reporters, and analysts on the right path
- Document projects including business objective, data gathering and processing, leading approaches, analytical techniques, detailed set of results and analytical metrics. Develop materials to explain project findings. Explain findings to business audiences
What You’ll Need:
- Proficiency in SQL (Redshift/PostgreSQL a plus)
Proficiency in data visualization and dashboarding tools (DOMO would be a plus)
- Experience with programming languages such as R and Python a plus
- Experience with ETL fundamentals and ETL management & maintenance a plus
- Experience with or exposure to web and other media consumption analytics, sales CRM systems and other data management platforms (Salesforce and Omniture a plus)
We are driven by our values. We are relentless contributors, disruptors of the status quo, collaborators, talent cultivators and DEI stewards. Our culture is defined by grit, total integrity and a prioritization on innovation.
We value our people. We offer a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package, including health and wellness benefits, commuter and cell phone reimbursements, retirement plans, as well as work-life balance flexibility and opportunities for career development. Click here for more on what we offer and what it’s like to work for POLITICO.
Let’s keep in touch. Follow us on Instagram and Twitter at @politicocareers and #meetPOLITICO for a deep dive into what makes us POLITICOs and our adventures. We’d love to hear from you! Want to join POLITICO but don’t see a job suited to you? Sign up to be a part of our Talent Network to be alerted of future opportunities.
Tell us about the interview process for this job
The interview process consists of multiple rounds were you will be meeting with your future team including your managers, peers and stakeholders.
Tell us about your diversity and inclusion efforts
We are DEI stewards: We are dedicated to ensuring all our colleagues feel a sense of belonging and respect. We commit to providing a fair and equitable work environment where all employees can be themselves and share their experiences.
Do you have an active contract with ICE?
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.ultipro.com.