Code of Conduct
All participants of Techqueria are expected to abide by our Code of Conduct, both online and during in-person events that are hosted and/or associated with Techqueria.
We believe in respect, compassion, understanding, and inclusion and expect all community members to act on these values.
We have no tolerance for any form of harassment; we expect everyone to act professionally and to follow the social norms of the community.
- The Pledge
- The Standards
- Reporting Violations
In the interest of fostering an open and welcoming environment, we pledge to make participation in our project and our community a harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless of age, body size, disability, ethnicity, gender identity and expression, level of experience, nationality, personal appearance, race, religion, or sexual identity and orientation.
Examples of behaviour that contributes to creating a positive environment include:
- Using welcoming and inclusive language
- Being respectful of differing viewpoints and experiences
- Gracefully accepting constructive criticism
- Referring to people by their preferred pronouns and using gender-neutral pronouns when uncertain
Examples of unacceptable behaviour by participants include:
- Any action that results in complaints from our community
- Assuming or promoting any kind of inequality including but not limited to: age, body size, disability, ethnicity, gender identity and expression, nationality and race, personal appearance, religion, or sexual identity and orientation
- Attacking personal tastes
- Continued one-on-one communication after requests to cease
- Deliberate “outing” of any aspect of a person’s identity
- Deliberate intimidation
- Demonstrating the graphics or any other content you know may be considered disturbing
- Exclusionary jokes or comments
- Finding loopholes in the code of conduct
- Incitement of violence towards any individual, including encouraging a person to commit suicide or to engage in self-harm
- Not being respectful to reasonable communication boundaries, such as ‘leave me alone,’ ‘go away,’ or ‘I’m not discussing this with you.’
- Offensive comments related to a person’s identity
- Other conduct which you know could reasonably be considered inappropriate in a professional setting
- Publishing others’ private information, such as a physical or electronic address, without explicit permission
- Spamming the group and excessive self-promotion
- Sustained disruption of event programming
- The usage of sexualised language or imagery and unwelcome sexual attention or advances
- Threats of violence
- Trolling, insulting/derogatory comments, public or private harassment
- Unwelcome physical contact
- Unwelcome remarks regarding a person’s lifestyle choices and practices
- Unwelcome sexual attention
For all official Techqueria events, in instances where alcohol is present, the following is required:
- All attendees must have IDs checked to confirm they are 21+
- Alcohol consumption must be limited. Local chapters maintain autonomy for how to implement alcohol control measures (drink tickets, wristbands, etc)
- Additionally, it is at the local chapter’s discretion how to handle alcohol at casual events
In the unfortunate case that you see someone violating the code of conduct, here are some ways that you can report it to us.
DM @Techqueria on Twitter
Email us at email@example.com
Within the Slack group, you can use the
/admin command to reach out to an admin
For more information on getting the most out of our Slack workspace, see our Slack welcome page.
All reports will be reviewed and investigated and will result in a response that is deemed necessary and appropriate to the circumstances. A staff member will approach anyone identified as participating in harassing behavior and asked to cease any inappropriate activity or to disengage from our community immediately.
Further details of specific enforcement policies may be posted separately.
We hold the right and responsibility to remove comments or other contributions that are not aligned to this Code of Conduct, or to ban temporarily or permanently any members for other behaviours that they deem inappropriate, threatening, offensive, or harmful.
Respect is essential for everybody so if you feel uncomfortable, or suspect of someone’s behavior, approach one of the organizers and staff members, we will handle it with confidentiality and care.
Witch-hunting and shaming someone the actions of someone else is also in violation.