Techqueria is a 501c3 nonprofit that empowers Latinx professionals with the resources and support that they need to thrive and become leaders in the tech industry.
To that end, we work with both tech companies and employee resource groups (ERGs) to build Latinx-centered spaces that revolve around career advice, technical talks, mentorship, open jobs, networking events, speaking opportunities, and open-source in order to comprehensively affect change in the tech industry.
Coming from all walks of life, we believe that the diversity of our community is the most reliable asset we have. Our space aims to be inclusive so we invite Latinx from the regions of the Caribbean, Haiti, and Brazil as well as those who identify as Afro-Latinx, Asian-Latinx or LGBTQIA. The term Latinx is used instead of Latino or Latina because it is a gender-neutral and inclusive term.
Mission Statement 🔗︎
To provide Latinx professionals with the resources and support that they need to thrive and become leaders in the tech industry.
Vision Statement 🔗︎
To become the most powerful and robust professional network of Latinx professionals in the tech industry across the world.
Techqueria is a national 501c3 nonprofit that serves the largest community of Latinx in Tech in the US.
Our 7 P’s of Community 🔗︎
People - Who are your members? 🔗︎
Latinx professionals in the tech industry
Purpose - Why does the community exist? 🔗︎
To create more Latinx leaders in the tech industry which in turn will lead to a more diverse balance of power in the largest wealth generating field in the world
Place - Where do members gather? 🔗︎
- in all our online communities
- in-person events in our chapters across the US
Participation - What do members do? 🔗︎
- Network & collaborate with other Latinx in Tech
- Share resources/advice/job opportunities
- Engage with Techqueria by becoming a corporate or community partner
Other things members do…
- ask for advice/share advice
- build a new Techqueria chapter
- collaborate with other ERGs
- create lifelong partnerships and relationships
- find a mentor who is also Latinx
- get a new job
- grow their Latinx ERG (employee resource group)
- grow their Latinx in Tech network
- hear about and attend networking events
- hire Latinx in Tech
- learn more about certain topics (product manageement, social entrepeanurship, front end, etc)
- sponsor Techqueria
- stay in the toop about tech in LATAM
- support other Latinx in Tech
- transition to tech from another field
- vent about workplace challenges
- volunteer for Techqueria
Policy - What are the values, guidelines and rules? 🔗︎
- Code of Conduct that we enforce for our online communities and in-person events
Promotion - How is this community discovered? 🔗︎
- in-person events
- online (we are #1 on Google for “latinx in tech” or “latinx tech”)
- word of mouth
Performance - How is success measured? 🔗︎
- offline engagmeent (e.g. number of Latinx professionals who attend our events)
- online engagement (e.g. member growth, social media followers)
- qualitative feedback (e.g. feedback from members via surveys)
We have 5 official chapters across the USA.
- San Francisco, CA
- Los Angeles, CA
- New York, NY
- Austin, TX
- Chicago, IL
We are going to be launching 3 more chapters by January 2020.
- Denver, CO
- Atlanta, GA
- Portland, OR
If you are interested in starting up a new chapter, reach out to us in the #meta channel via Slack.
Members by Profession 🔗︎
Data is from a sample of 2,250 responses from Linkedin and intake surveys (2018).
The average amount of experience for our members based on that survey is 5 years.
Ergo, the majority of our member base identify as mid-level engineers.
October 20, 2019 🔗︎
- 8,000+ contacts
- 400% increase in growth over last year
- 1,200+ weekly active members
- 690+ daily active members
- 10,000+ messages sent per week
- LinkedIn (over last 30 days)
- 113% growth in followers
- 60% increase in visitors and views
- Twitter (over last 28 days)
- 106% increase in tweet impressions
- 44% increase in visits
- 20,000+ visits over past year, up 185% from the previous year
- average of 4,000 to 6,000 visitors to our website per month
- 600+ inbounds from forms on our website since 05/02/19
- 100+ form inbounds/month from folks wanting to engage with Techqueria
- Facebook Group (over last 28 days)
- 87% increase in engagement
- 70+ events across 5 chapters since January 2016
- SF, LA, Austin, NYC, Chicago (2)
- 3 chapters TBA
- Atlanta, Portland, Denver
- Partnership Calls
- 100+ partnership calls over last 4 months
- 5+ partnerships calls on average per week
- 60+ ERGs represented
- 40+ active in community
- Scholarships Facilitated
- $135,000+ in value
- 140+ free tickets/passes/subscriptions given to members
August 19, 2019 🔗︎
We reach a 15,000+ member reach.
- 5,000+ subscribers — MailChimp
- 4,000+ members — Slack
- 2,500+ members — Meetup
- 2,200+ followers — Twitter
- 2,000+ members — Facebook Group
- 900+ members — LinkedIn Group
- 700+ followers — LinkedIn Page
- 400+ likes — Facebook Page
- 200+ followers — Instagram
- 160+ stars — GitHub’s Website Repo
- 60+ subscribers — YouTube Channel
- 50+ members — GitHub Organization
August 9, 2019 🔗︎
Reached 1,000+ weekly active users in our Slack.
June 19, 2019 🔗︎
Reached 3,500+ participants for events we’ve hosted.
March 7, 2019 🔗︎
Incorporated as a 501c3 nonprofit.
November 15, 2015 🔗︎
First Meetup with 3 people in attendance.
Most photos on the site were taken by Pablo Carbajal.