About Omidyar Network:
Established by philanthropists Pam and Pierre Omidyar, Omidyar Network is a social change venture that has committed more than $1 billion to innovative for-profit companies and nonprofit organizations since 2004. Omidyar Network works to reimagine critical systems and the ideas that govern them, and to build more inclusive and equitable societies in which individuals have the social, economic, and democratic power to thrive.
To learn more, visit www.omidyar.com and @omidyarnetwork on Twitter.
About the Strategic Communications team:
We are a dynamic group of professionals who are committed to using the power of communications and advocacy to advance our strategic goals. We work in close partnership with our program teams to build strategic communications into their strategies at the outset. At times, our team supports program leads on a given impact goal, while other times, we lead the work. We pursue policy levers, narrative and culture change, storytelling, thought leadership, earned, owned and paid media, and other creative channels to shift people’s attitudes and behaviors. We strive to increase our impact and contribute to the change we want to see in the world.
We are searching for a dedicated and dynamic Senior Manager to join the Strategic Communications team and join Omidyar Network’s efforts to build a responsible digital technology system. You will draw upon your knowledge and experience of strategic communications to work with internal and external stakeholders to craft and implement communication strategies that further our organizational objectives.
You will collaborate with our Responsible Tech team to develop communications strategies and investments that advance our objectives and goals.
How you’ll contribute to our impact:
- Tell a clear story about what we do to advance Responsible Technology and explain our positions on technology issues, keeping the big picture in focus.
- Develop and tailor communications strategies, tactics, and messaging for the Responsible Technology impact theme (and each of the workstreams/explorations) that is universally understandable and resonant across a diverse set of constituencies, advances Omidyar Network’s points of view, and creates differentiation among Omidyar Network and its peers.
- Implement communications strategies across platforms, including: print, electronic, and digital; social media; owned media such as websites, collateral, and employee communications; sponsorships and speaking opportunities; and Omidyar Network-owned events and convenings.
- Coordinate communications activities across teams.
- Advise program teams on their overall strategies, including narrative change goals.
- Work with partners to advance their causes within the broader context of Omidyar Network’s Responsible Technology vision.
- Empower staff to engage externally, by providing them with materials, resources, and training to be effective communicators.
This is a full-time, salaried position that features competitive pay and benefits, including health care (medical/dental/vision), paid time off, and a generous employer 401k contribution. The salary will be $187,000 in Washington D.C. and $207,000 in Redwood City, CA. While we are currently working in a hybrid capacity, this position will be based out of our Redwood City (CA) or Washington DC offices. Candidates must have a current U.S. work authorization to be considered.
What You’ll Bring to the Team:
- A minimum of 7-10 years in strategic communications with experience of multi-discipline communications function including strategy, public affairs, advocacy, messaging, public relations, brand image management, and public and/or government affairs, ideally in nonprofit, foundation, agency, or political/policy environments.
- Strong understanding of technology issues (and an ability to translate them into plain speak). This can include knowledge of the US tech policy landscape, the emerging startup scene, and power dynamics within the system.
- Significant experience developing and implementing communications strategies that advance an organization’s goals and objectives.
- Thoughtful understanding of public and sectors, particularly within a political and policy context.
- Balanced combination of collaboration and independence; a self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit who enjoys crafting and implementing new ideas while deeply listening to others.
- Strong background as an implementer who thrives on leading a variety of initiatives concurrently.
- High energy, maturity, and leadership that serves as a unifying force to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels.
- History of seeding and moving narratives.
- Proven track record to quickly establish trust and credibility with people within and outside the organization. Someone who is sought out for their opinions and counsel and who can forge and maintain close relationships across teams.
- Innovative and creative problem solver with success using traditional and new media to advance communications objectives.
- Outstanding writing, editing, and public speaking skills.
- Curious learner who knows how to get up to speed quickly on complex topics, spot opportunities, and stay ahead of communication trends.
- Deep digital media capabilities and understanding of various platforms.
- Strong project management and prioritization skills.
To apply, submit your resume and a cover letter (1-page maximum) that describes your approach to advancing strategic communications initiatives on complex issues.
At Omidyar Network, diversity, equity, and inclusion are directly aligned with our fundamental belief that people are inherently capable, but they often lack opportunity. We know that a diverse workforce allows us to see problems in more nuanced ways, creating the thought leadership needed to have outsized positive returns on the world. We actively recruit, develop, and retain the most hardworking people from a diverse candidate pool. Omidyar Network is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes people from all experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply.
Tell us about the interview process for this job
The interview process will include an initial phone screen and multiple interview rounds with key team members. Finalist will have the opportunity to interview in-person in Washington, D.C.
Tell us about your diversity and inclusion efforts
We are committed to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive (DEI) environment for all of our employees and in our work with partners, and serving as a thought leader on DEI issues across the social change sector.
Do you have an active contract with ICE?
To apply for this job please visit boards.greenhouse.io.